2011 Hawaii Code
111. Assistance to Displaced Persons
§111-3 Relocation payments.

HI Rev Stat § 111-3 (2011 through Reg Sess) What's This?

§111-3 Relocation payments. (a) Except as provided in subsection (f) below, if any state agency displaces persons described herein, it shall make fair and reasonable relocation payments to such displaced persons as required by this chapter.

(b) A relocation payment to a displaced person shall be for the person's or its actual and reasonable moving expenses.

(c) Optional payments (dwelling). Any displaced person who moves from a dwelling who elects to accept the payments authorized by this subsection in lieu of the payments authorized by subsection (b) may receive: (1) a moving expense allowance determined according to a schedule established by the state agency involved not to exceed $300; and (2) a dislocation allowance in the amount of $200.

(d) Optional payments (business and farm operations). Any displaced person who moves or discontinues the person's business or farm operations who elects to accept the payment authorized by this subsection in lieu of the payment authorized by subsection (a) of this section may receive a fixed relocation payment in an amount equal to the average annual net earnings of the business or farm operation, or $5,000, whichever is the lesser. In the case of a business, no payment shall be made under this subsection unless the state agency involved is satisfied that the business (1) cannot be relocated without a substantial loss of its existing patronage; and (2) it is not part of a commercial enterprise having at least one other establishment, not being acquired by the state agency which is engaged in the same or similar business.

(e) In lieu of the payments authorized by subsections (b), (c), and (d), the state agency may at its option and at its expense undertake to move as applicable the personal effects or business or farm operation to the site to which the displaced person is to be relocated.

(f) If any state agency displaces any person as a result of code enforcement, that person shall be entitled to benefits under this section unless the displaced person is in any way responsible for the violation. The state agency shall have the right to recover from the party responsible for a code violation any moneys paid out under chapter 111. [L 1970, c 166, §3; am L 1973, c 67, §1(1); gen ch 1985; am L 1987, c 10, §4 and c 162, §4; am L 1988, c 94, §1]

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.