2009 Hawaii Code
Volume 05
§281-37 - Sales of alcohol.

     §281-37  Sales of alcohol.  No alcohol shall be sold, bartered, or otherwise furnished by any person whether holding a license to manufacture or sell the same under this chapter or not, except to a person holding a license to resell the same, or to a person holding a purchase permit from the liquor commission to purchase the same.

     Permits to purchase alcohol may be issued by the commission, without fee or charge therefor, to any person holding a license under the laws of the State to sell poisonous drugs, or to any person who in the opinion of the commission requires the use thereof for pharmaceutical or other purposes in the bona fide treatment of patients of such person, or for rubbing, cleansing, or as a preservative, or for any bona fide scientific purpose, but in no case for use for beverage purposes.

     On every sale of alcohol the seller, after first being satisfied that the person presenting a permit is the person therein named, shall make a record on the permit and sign the same showing the name of the purchaser, the date, the quantity sold, and the purpose declared as to the intended use thereof.  The seller shall also keep a separate record of the same matters.  If in any permit there is a prescribed limit as to the quantity purchasable thereunder at any one time or in the aggregate in any given period of time, the permit shall not be honored beyond its terms.

     The commission, by rules and regulations, where deemed appropriate, may provide for the sale of alcohol upon prescriptions of duly licensed physicians in lieu of the permits above mentioned. [L Sp 1933, c 40, §17; RL 1935, §2586; RL 1945, §7238; RL 1955, §159-36; HRS §281-37; gen ch 1985; am L 1986, c 339, §29]


Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.