There is a newer version of this Section
2021 Georgia Code
Title 35 - Law Enforcement Officers and Agencies
Chapter 3 - Georgia Bureau of Investigation
Article 6 - Division of Forensic Sciences
§ 35-3-153. Chief Medical Examiner Office Created; Appointment; Responsibilities
Universal Citation: GA Code § 35-3-153 (2021)
- Within the division there shall be an office of chief medical examiner.
- The chief medical examiner shall be appointed by the director. No person may be the chief medical examiner unless that person at the time of appointment is a pathologist certified in forensic pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
- It shall be the duty of the chief medical examiner to:
- Establish death investigation regions throughout the state and establish policies concerning the requirements for appointment of regional medical examiners to oversee death investigation activities in each established region;
- Appoint regional medical examiners;
- Employ forensic consultants and other independent contractors with the approval of the division director;
- Organize and conduct regular educational sessions as may be needed for medical examiners and coroners in the state in cooperation with the Georgia Coroner's Training Council and the Georgia Police Academy;
- Maintain permanent death investigation records for all jurisdictions in the state;
- Establish death investigation guidelines for coroners and medical examiners; and
- Cooperate with other state agencies, as appropriate, to ensure public health and safety.
- If there is a vacancy in the office of chief medical examiner or the chief medical examiner is disqualified or otherwise unable to perform the duties of said office, the division director shall be authorized to perform the duties of chief medical examiner.
(Code 1981, §35-3-153, enacted by Ga. L. 1997, p. 1421, § 3.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.