There is a newer version of this Section
2021 Georgia Code
Title 19 - Domestic Relations
Chapter 2 - Domicile
§ 19-2-2. Election Between Two or More Domiciles; Domicile of Transients
Universal Citation: GA Code § 19-2-2 (2021)
- If a person resides indifferently at two or more places in this state, the person shall have the privilege of electing which of such places shall be his domicile. If the election is made known generally among those with whom the person transacts business in this state, the place chosen shall be the person's domicile. If no such election is made or if an election is made but is not generally known among those with whom the person transacts business in this state, third persons may treat any one of the places in which the person resides as his domicile and it shall be so held; and in all such cases a person who habitually resides a portion of the year in one county and another portion of the year in another shall be deemed a resident of both, so far as to subject him to actions in either for contracts made or torts committed in such county.
- Transient persons whose business or pleasure causes a frequent change of residence and who have no family permanently residing at one place in this state shall be deemed, as to third persons, to be domiciled at such place as they at the time temporarily occupy.
(Orig. Code 1863, § 1645; Code 1868, § 1690; Code 1873, § 1691; Code 1882, § 1691; Civil Code 1895, § 1825; Civil Code 1910, § 2182; Code 1933, § 79-402.)
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 25 Am. Jur. 2d, Domicil, §§ 6, 25.C.J.S.
- 28 C.J.S., Domicile, §§ 5 et seq., 13, 14.ALR.
- Significance of place where one votes or registers to vote on question as to his domicile or residence for other purposes, 107 A.L.R. 448.
Domicile or residence of person in the armed forces, 148 A.L.R. 1413; 149 A.L.R. 1471; 150 A.L.R. 1468; 151 A.L.R. 1468; 152 A.L.R. 1471; 153 A.L.R. 1442; 155 A.L.R. 1466; 156 A.L.R. 1465; 157 A.L.R. 1462; 158 A.L.R. 1474.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.