2020 Georgia Code
Title 8 - Buildings and Housing
Chapter 3 - Housing Generally
Article 4 - Fair Housing
- § 8-3-200. State Policy; Purposes and Construction of Article
- § 8-3-201. Definitions
- § 8-3-202. (For Effective Date, See note.) Unlawful Practices in Selling or Renting Dwellings; Exceptions
- § 8-3-203. Unlawful Denial of or Discrimination in Membership or Participation in Service or Organization Relating to Selling or Renting Dwellings
- § 8-3-204. Discrimination in Residential Real Estate Related Transactions; Appraisals
- § 8-3-205. (For Effective Date, See note.) Permissible Limitations in Sale, Rental, or Occupancy of Dwellings by Religious Organizations or Private Clubs; Housing for Older Persons
- § 8-3-206. (For Effective Date, See note.) Powers and Duties of Administrator; Housing and Urban Development Programs of Other Agencies
- § 8-3-207. Educational and Conciliatory Activities; Conferences; Consultation as to Extent of Discrimination; Reports
- § 8-3-208. Discriminatory Housing Practice Complaint Procedures
- § 8-3-209. Investigations; Conciliation Agreements; Final Report; Breach of Conciliation Agreement; Disclosure; Action for Temporary Relief; Transmittal of Information
- § 8-3-210. Procedure Where Local Fair Housing Law Applicable
- § 8-3-211. Procedure on Filing of Discriminatory Housing Practice Complaint
- § 8-3-212. Subpoenas and Discovery; Penalties for Violations
- § 8-3-213. (For Effective Date, See note.) State Action for Enforcement; Fines; Damages; Civil Action by Local Agency; Administrative Proceeding
- § 8-3-214. (For Effective Date, See note.) Orders of Administrative Law Judge
- § 8-3-215. (For Effective Date, See note.) Appeal From Order of Administrative Law Judge; Attorney's Fees and Costs
- § 8-3-216. (For Effective Date, See note.) Filing Order of Administrator in Superior Court and Judgment Thereon
- § 8-3-217. (For Effective Date, See note.) Civil Actions by Aggrieved Persons
- § 8-3-218. (For Effective Date, See note.) Civil Actions by Attorney General
- § 8-3-219. Expediting of Actions Under Code Section 8-3-217 or 8-3-218
- § 8-3-220. Adoption of Provisions in Local Ordinance
- § 8-3-221. Cooperation With Federal and Local Agencies
- § 8-3-222. Coercion, Intimidation, Threats, or Interference
- § 8-3-223. Compliance With Federal Law
- Ga. L. 1988, p. 698, effective July 1, 1988, repealed the Code sections formerly codified as this article and enacted the current article. The former article, which dealt with discrimination in sale, lease, or financing of housing, consisted of §§ 8-3-200 through8-3-208 and was based on Ga. L. 1978, p. 1593.
Ga. L. 1990, p. 1284, effective July 1, 1990, repealed the Code sections formerly codified as this article and enacted the current article. The former article, which dealt with fair housing, consisted of Code Sections 8-3-200 through 8-3-215 and was based on Ga. L. 1988, p. 698.Administrative Rules and Regulations.
- Georgia fair housing law, Official Compilation of the Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia, Commission on Equal Opportunity, Chapter 186-2.Law reviews.
- For comment, "â€˜A Fresh Look': Title VII's New Promise for LGBT Discrimination Protection Post-Hively," see 68 Emory L.J. 1101 (2019).
OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
- In light of the similarity of the statutory provisions, opinions decided under former Ga. L. 1978, p. 1593 are included in the annotations.Ordinances exceeding scope of article void.
- County and municipal fair housing ordinances, whose scope of coverage exceeds the general state law on the subject of discrimination in housing accommodations, are in conflict with Ga. Const. 1976, Art. I, Sec. II, Para. VII (see now Ga. Const. 1983, Art. III, Sec. VI, Para. IV) and are therefore void. 1980 Op. Att'y Gen. No. 80-150 (decided under former Ga. L. 1978, p. 1593).RESEARCH REFERENCES
Housing Discrimination Litigation, 28 Am. Jur. Trials 1.ALR.
- Validity, construction, and application of statutes, or of condominium association's bylaws or regulations, restricting sale, transfer, or lease of condominium units, 17 A.L.R.4th 1247.
State civil rights legislation prohibiting sex discrimination in housing, 81 A.L.R.4th 205.
Evidence of discriminatory effect alone as sufficient to prove, or to establish prima facie case of, violation of Fair Housing Act (42 USCS § 3601 et seq.), 100 A.L.R. Fed. 97.