2020 Georgia Code
Title 47 - Retirement and Pensions
Chapter 7 - Georgia Firefighters' Pension Fund
Article 5 - Service Creditable Toward Retirement
§ 47-7-85. Credit for Prior Eligible Service by Persons Who Are Members as of July 1, 1998, or Become Members After That Date
- As used in this Code section, the term "prior eligible service" means service:
- Rendered by a member of the fund as a fireman or volunteer fireman; and
- For which the member would otherwise have been eligible for credit if such member had been a member of the fund at the time such service was rendered.
- Any person who is a member of the fund on July 1, 1998, or who becomes a member after that date shall be entitled to credit for up to ten years of prior eligible service, provided that such person satisfies the following requirements:
- The member or applicant for membership files with the board an application for such credit in the form prescribed by the board; and
- At the time of application for credit, the member or applicant for membership pays to the fund an amount sufficient to grant the creditable service authorized by this Code section without creating any actuarially determined accrued liability, as a result of granting such creditable service, against the fund, such determination to be made by the board after consultation with an actuary retained by the board.
- Nothing in this Code section shall alter the requirements for membership in the fund or the limitations on membership or benefits of membership which would otherwise apply absent the benefit of prior eligible service credits under this Code section.
(Code 1981, §47-7-85, enacted by Ga. L. 1998, p. 148, § 1.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.