2020 Georgia Code
Title 44 - Property
Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant
Article 2 - Security Deposits
- § 44-7-30. Definitions
- § 44-7-31. Placement of Security Deposit in Trust in Escrow Account; Notice to Tenant of Account Location
- § 44-7-32. Surety Bond in Lieu of Escrow Account; Withdrawal of Surety; Fees; Liability of Clerk of Superior Court
- § 44-7-33. Lists of Existing Defects and of Damages During Tenancy; Inspection of Premises by Landlord Upon Termination of Lease and Vacation or Surrender of Premises; Right of Tenant to Inspect and Dissent; Action to Recover Security Deposit
- § 44-7-34. Return of Security Deposit; Grounds for Retention of Part; Delivery of Statement and Sum Due to Tenant; Unclaimed Deposit; Court Determination of Disposition of Deposit
- § 44-7-35. Remedies for Landlord's Noncompliance With Article
- § 44-7-36. Certain Rental Units Exempt From Article
- § 44-7-37. Liability for Rent of Military Personnel Receiving Change of Duty Orders
ARTICLE 2 SECURITY DEPOSITS
- For article discussing 1976 statutory changes in landlord-tenant law, see 13 Ga. St. B.J. 43 (1976).
Intent of article.
- Intent of provisions on security deposits is only to prevent the wrongful withholding of security deposits from tenants by landlords. It does not in any way alter the statutory or contractual liability of tenants for rent. Kimber v. Towne Hills Dev. Co., 156 Ga. App. 401, 274 S.E.2d 620 (1980).
Cited in Whipper v. Kirk, 156 Ga. App. 218, 274 S.E.2d 662 (1980).
- Bankruptcy: lessor's right, upon bankruptcy of lessee, to enforce lien or retain security for future rentals, 22 A.L.R. 1307; 45 A.L.R. 717.
Provision in lease for pecuniary forfeiture where lease is prematurely terminated as one for liquidated damages, 106 A.L.R. 292.
Right of lessor to retain advance rental payments made under lease terms upon lessee's default in rent, 27 A.L.R.2d 656.
Landlord-tenant security deposit legislation, 63 A.L.R.4th 901.