2020 Georgia Code
Title 44 - Property
Chapter 3 - Regulation of Specialized Land Transactions
Article 3 - Condominiums
§ 44-3-74. Recording Condominium Instruments, Plats, Plans, and Encumbrances
- The declaration and any amendments thereto shall be entitled to recordation if executed in the manner required for recording deeds to real property. All condominium instruments and any amendments and certifications thereto shall set forth the name of the condominium; the name of the county or counties in which the condominium is located; and, except for the declaration itself, the deed book and page number where the first page of the declaration is recorded or the document number assigned to the declaration upon its recordation. All condominium instruments and all amendments and certifications thereto shall be recorded in every county where any portion of the condominium is located. The recordation shall not require the approval of any county or municipal authority or official except as to the manner of execution prescribed by this Code section.
- The clerk of superior court shall continue to maintain any legacy condominium plat books, condominium site plan books, condominium plot plan books, or condominium floor plan books that currently exist either in their current form or in electronic format.
- All deeds, mortgages, liens, leases, and encumbrances of any kind affecting any condominium unit or duplicate originals thereof or copies thereof certified by the clerk of superior court in whose office the same are first recorded shall be recorded in all counties in which any part of the submitted property is located.
(Ga. L. 1975, p. 609, § 11; Ga. L. 2016, p. 193, § 9/HB 1004; Ga. L. 2017, p. 774, § 44/HB 323.)
The 2016 amendment, effective January 1, 2017, substituted the present provisions of subsection (b) for the former provisions, which read: "In addition to the records and indexes required to be maintained by the clerk of the superior court, such clerk shall maintain one or more separate plat books, entitled 'Condominium Plat Book," in which shall be recorded all plats required to be filed pursuant to this article. In addition to such plats, there shall also be entitled to be recorded in such plat books other plats, including site plans and plot plans, prepared by a registered land surveyor and affecting any condominium; but the same shall not constitute the recording of a plat pursuant to Code Section 44-3-83 unless they comply with all requirements thereof. The record of the declaration and of any amendment thereto shall contain a reference to the plat book and page number of the plat or plats recorded in connection therewith."; deleted former subsection (c), which read: "The plans required to be recorded pursuant to Code Section 44-3-83 shall be kept by the clerk of the superior court in a separate file for each condominium and shall be indexed in the same manner as a conveyance entitled to record, numbered serially in the order of receipt, each designated 'Condominium Plans,' with the name of the condominium, and each containing a reference to the deed book and page number where the first page of the declaration is recorded or the document number assigned to the declaration upon its recordation. The record of the declaration and of any amendment thereto shall contain a reference to the file number of the plans recorded in connection therewith."; redesignated former subsection (d) as present subsection (c); and, in present subsection (c), deleted "the" following "clerk of" in the middle.
The 2017 amendment, effective May 9, 2017, part of an Act to revise, modernize, and correct the Code, revised language in subsection (b).
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 15A Am. Jur. 2d, Condominiums and Cooperative Apartments, § 10.C.J.S.
- 51C C.J.S., Landlord and Tenant, § 232.ALR.
- Record of executory contracts for the sale of real estate, 26 A.L.R. 1546.