2020 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 - Uniform Rules of the Road
Article 5 - Rights and Duties of Pedestrians
§ 40-6-92. Crossing Roadway Elsewhere Than at Crosswalk
- Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway unless he has already, and under safe conditions, entered the roadway.
- Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway if he uses the roadway instead of such tunnel or crossing.
- Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.
- No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic-control devices. When authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic-control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.
(Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 79; Ga. L. 1967, p. 542, § 4; Code 1933, § 68A-503, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.)
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 7A Am. Jur. 2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, § 303.C.J.S.
- 60A C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, § 895.ALR.
- Crossing street elsewhere than at regular crossing as contributory negligence precluding recovery for injury from defect or obstruction, 3 A.L.R. 1113.
Duty of pedestrian before crossing street to look for vehicles approaching on intersecting street, 9 A.L.R. 1248; 44 A.L.R. 1299.
Liability for injury to pedestrian colliding with side of automobile, 25 A.L.R. 1513.
Liability for injury on park strip between sidewalk and curb, 59 A.L.R. 387; 61 A.L.R. 267; 19 A.L.R.2d 1053.
Duty and liability to person struck by automobile while crossing street at unusual place or diagonally, 67 A.L.R. 313.
Liability for injury on parking or strip between sidewalk and curb, 19 A.L.R.2d 1053.
Liability for collision of automobile with pedestrian at intersection as affected by reliance upon or disregard of traffic sign or signal other than stop-and-go signal, 3 A.L.R.3d 557.
Liability, in motor vehicle-related cases, of governmental entity for injury or death resulting from defect or obstruction on roadside parkway or parking strip, 98 A.L.R.3d 439.