There is a newer version of this Section
2020 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 - Uniform Rules of the Road
Article 13 - Special Provisions for Certain Vehicles
Part 1 - Bicycles and Play Vehicles
§ 40-6-291. Traffic Laws Applicable to Bicycles; Operation Upon Paved Shoulder; Signaling of Right Hand Turns
Universal Citation: GA Code § 40-6-291 (2020)
- The provisions of this chapter that apply to vehicles, but not exclusively to motor vehicles, shall apply to bicycles, except as provided in this Code section and except that the penalties prescribed in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-6-390, subsection (c) of Code Section 40-6-391, and subsection (a) of Code Section 40-6-393 shall not apply to persons riding bicycles.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of Code Section 40-6-50, any person operating a bicycle may ride upon a paved shoulder; provided, however, that such person shall not be required to ride upon a paved shoulder.
- Any person operating a bicycle may signal a right turn with his or her right arm and hand extended horizontally or with his or her left hand and arm extended upward.
(Ga. L. 1973, p. 471, § 3; Code 1933, § 68A-1202, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1978, p. 1483, § 4; Ga. L. 1988, p. 13, § 40; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5; Ga. L. 2011, p. 426, § 3/HB 101.)
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 7A Am. Jur. 2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, § 227. 8 Am. Jur. 2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, § 593.ALR.
- Injury to one while coasting in the street, 20 A.L.R. 1433; 109 A.L.R. 941.
Reciprocal duties of driver of automobile and bicyclist or motorcyclist, 172 A.L.R. 736.
Operation of bicycle as within drunk driving statute, 73 A.L.R.4th 1139.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.