2020 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 2 - Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles
- Article 1 - General Provisions
- Article 2 - Registration and Licensing Generally
- Article 2A - Fleet Vehicles
- Article 3 - Prestige License Plates and Special Plates for Certain Persons and Vehicles
- Article 3A - Reciprocal Agreements for Registration of Commercial Vehicles
- Article 4 - Vehicles of Nonresidents
- Article 5 - Unregistered Motor Trucks
- Article 6 - Administration and Enforcement of Chapter
- Article 6A - Administration of Federal Unified Carrier Registration Act of 2005
- Article 7 - Motor Vehicle License Fees and Classes
- General duty of Georgia State Patrol to check motor vehicles for proper licensing, § 35-2-33.
Procedure when date for payment of tax or license fee falls on Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, § 48-2-39.
Ad valorem taxation of motor vehicles, § 48-5-440 et seq.
Motor vehicle license fees, T. 48, C. 10.Editor's notes.
- Since the purpose of Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, was to "revise, reorganize, modernize, consolidate, and clarify" laws relating to certain aspects of the motor vehicle code, wherever it was possible to do so, other Acts amending Title 40 were construed in conjunction with Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048. This construction particularly includes Acts amending a given Code section when the Code section was later renumbered or redesignated by Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048.JUDICIAL DECISIONS
Cited in Georgia Power Co. v. Musgrove, 77 Ga. App. 880, 50 S.E.2d 118 (1948); Freeman v. Ryder Truck Lines, 244 Ga. 80, 259 S.E.2d 36 (1979).
OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Probate courts lack jurisdiction as to violations.
- Probate courts have no authority or jurisdiction in violations arising under the motor vehicle and traffic law. 1965-66 Op. Att'y Gen. No. 65-18.
- License tax or fee on automobiles as affected by interstate commerce clause, 25 A.L.R. 37; 52 A.L.R. 533; 115 A.L.R. 1105.
Civil rights and liabilities as affected by failure to comply with regulations as to registration of automobile or motorcycle, or licensing of operator, 58 A.L.R. 532; 61 A.L.R. 1190; 78 A.L.R. 1028; 87 A.L.R. 1469; 111 A.L.R. 1258; 163 A.L.R. 1375.
Validity of automobile registration or license fee as affected by classification or discrimination, 126 A.L.R. 1419.
Unlicensed automobile owned by insured as "owned automobile" within language of automobile liability insurance, 21 A.L.R.4th 918.