2020 Georgia Code
Title 4 - Animals
Chapter 8 - Dogs
Article 2 - Responsible Dog Ownership
§ 4-8-28. Notifications by Owner; Change in Ownership of Dog; Changes in Residence
- The owner of a classified dog shall notify the dog control officer within 24 hours if the dog is on the loose or has attacked a human and shall notify the dog control officer within 24 hours if the dog has died or has been euthanized.
- A vicious dog shall not be transferred, sold, or donated to any other person unless it is relinquished to a governmental facility or veterinarian to be euthanized.
- The owner of a classified dog who moves from one jurisdiction to another within the State of Georgia shall register the classified dog in the new jurisdiction within ten days of becoming a resident and notify the dog control officer of the jurisdiction from which he or she moved. The owner of a similarly classified dog who moves into this state shall register the dog as required in Code Section 4-8-27 within 30 days of becoming a resident.
(Code 1981, §4-8-28, enacted by Ga. L. 2012, p. 1290, § 4/HB 685.)Law reviews.
- For article on the 2012 enactment of this Code section, see 29 Ga. St. U.L. Rev. 180 (2012).
OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
- Misdemeanor offenses arising under O.C.G.A. § 4-8-28 are offenses for which those charged are to be fingerprinted. 2012 Op. Att'y Gen. No. 12-6.