2020 Georgia Code
Title 35 - Law Enforcement Officers and Agencies
Chapter 3 - Georgia Bureau of Investigation
Article 1 - General Provisions
§ 35-3-13. Requests for Investigation of Criminal Matters and Crime Related Fires; Access to Local Services and Records
- Any district attorney of this state may request the assistance of the bureau to conduct and exercise its lawful powers and authorities in the investigation of any criminal matter.
- Any head of a municipal or county fire department may request the assistance of the bureau to conduct and exercise its lawful powers and authorities in the investigation of any crime related fires.
- In the event the bureau acts in cooperation with a municipality or other political subdivision of the state, the services and records of such municipality or other subdivision shall be accessible and available to the bureau at all times.
(Ga. L. 1937, p. 322, art. 3, § 1; Ga. L. 1941, p. 277, § 4; Ga. L. 1977, p. 752, § 1; Ga. L. 1978, p. 254, § 2.)
OPINIONS OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
Governor may authorize bureau to conduct investigations and make arrests.
- Governor has the power and the authority to authorize the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to conduct investigations and make arrests in any criminal case in any county or municipality of this state. 1963-65 Op. Att'y Gen. p. 532.
- Admissibility, in criminal case, of evidence discovered by warrantless search in connection with fire investigation - post-Tyler cases, 31 A.L.R.4th 194.