2020 Georgia Code
Title 12 - Conservation and Natural Resources
Chapter 2 - Department of Natural Resources
Article 1 - General Provisions
§ 12-2-11. Control of Aviation; Power of Department
- The department shall be authorized to acquire, operate, maintain, house, and dispose of all state aviation assets assigned to the department, to provide aviation services and oversight of such state aircraft and aviation operations for the mission of the department and legitimate state business purposes, to achieve policy objectives through aviation missions, and to provide for the efficient operation of such state aircraft.
- All aircraft under the custody and control of the Georgia Aviation Authority as of June 30, 2012, which were previously transferred to the authority by the department and associated parts and equipment and any budgeted operating funds associated with such aircraft shall be transferred on July 1, 2012, back to the custody and control of the department.
- Any persons who as of June 30, 2012, were employed by the Georgia Aviation Authority pursuant to previous transfer from the department to the authority shall be transferred back to the department on July 1, 2012, and shall no longer be under the administration or direction of the authority.
- All airfields and appurtenances, including hangars, previously transferred to the Georgia Aviation Authority by the department and all accounts receivable, budgeted operating funds, other funds, contracts, liabilities, and obligations associated with the aircraft being transferred back to the department as of July 1, 2012, shall become the property, accounts receivable, budgeted operating funds, other funds, contracts, liabilities, and obligations of the department on such date.
- The department shall be responsible for providing aviation services in support of the mission of the department. The department shall be authorized to dispose of any state aircraft assigned to the department and apply the proceeds derived therefrom to the purchase of replacement aviation assets.
- The department shall have the power to:
- Hire, organize, and train personnel to operate, maintain, house, purchase, and dispose of aviation assets;
- Purchase, lease, maintain, develop, and modify facilities to support aviation assets and operations;
- Develop operating, maintenance, safety, security, training, education, and scheduling standards for department aviation operations and conduct inspections, audits, and other similar oversight to determine practices and compliance with such standards;
- Develop an accountability system for department aviation operations and activities;
- Identify the costs associated with training, education, and the purchase, operation, maintenance, and administration of state aircraft assigned to the department and aviation operations and related facilities;
- In conjunction with the Georgia Aviation Authority, develop an appropriate joint billing structure for passenger transportation where the aircraft is designated and operated as a "civil aircraft" under Part 91 of the Federal Aviation Regulations and charge agencies and other state entities for the full variable hourly costs for the operation of each type of aircraft, evaluated annually and adjusted as necessary based upon the price of fuel, maintenance, and other fees that are a direct result of flying the aircraft on that specific trip; provided, however, that any billing to an agency by the department shall be suspended whenever the Governor declares a state of emergency on any cost associated with aircraft used during and in response to such state of emergency;
- Retain appropriate external consulting and auditing expertise;
- Engage aviation industry representatives to ensure best practices for department aviation assets;
- Delegate certain powers pursuant to this article to other state entities;
- Otherwise implement appropriate and efficient management practices for department aviation operations; and
- Enter into agreements with the Georgia Aviation Authority for mutual use of state airfields and appurtenances, including aircraft hangars.
(Code 1981, §12-2-11, enacted by Ga. L. 2012, p. 1082, § 2/SB 339.)Cross references.
- Aviation authority, T. 6, C. 5.
ARTICLE 2 BOARD OF NATURAL RESOURCES
- Board of Natural Resources, Ga. Const., 1983, Art. IV, Sec. VI, Para. I.Law reviews.
- For survey of Georgia cases dealing with environment, natural resources, and land use from June 1977 through May 1978, see 30 Mercer L. Rev. 75 (1978).
- Constitutionality of statute limiting or controlling exploitation or waste of natural resources, 24 A.L.R. 307; 78 A.L.R. 834.