2017 Georgia Code
Title 51 - Torts
Chapter 12 - Damages
Article 3 - Damages for Conversion of Timber
§ 51-12-50. Measure of damages for converted timber; presumption
- (a) Except as provided in Code Section 51-12-51, when a plaintiff recovers for timber cut or cut and carried away, the measure of damages shall be:
- (1) Treble the fair market value of the trees cut as they stood;
- (2) Treble the diminished fair market value of any trees incidentally harmed;
- (3) Costs of reasonable reforestation activities related to the plaintiff's injury; and
- (4) Attorney fees and expenses of litigation.
- (b) When the defendant is a willful trespasser, the plaintiff may also recover punitive damages.
- (c) When the boundary lines of the property have been clearly and accurately marked, it shall be presumed that the defendant was a willful trespasser.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.