There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Georgia Code
Title 46 - Public Utilities and Public Transportation
Chapter 8 - Railroad Companies
Article 2 - Powers and Duties of Commission as to Railroad Companies Generally
§ 46-8-20. Exclusive power of commission to determine just and reasonable rates and charges; establishing rates and tariffs generally; locating of depots and construction of freight and passenger buildings
Universal Citation: GA Code § 46-8-20 (2017)
- (a) The power to determine what are just and reasonable rates and charges is vested exclusively in the commission.
- (b) The commission:
- (1) Shall make reasonable and just rates of freight and passenger tariffs, such rates to be observed by all railroad companies doing business in this state;
- (2) Shall make reasonable and just rules and regulations as to charges at any and all points for the necessary handling and delivering of freights, such rules and regulations to be observed by all railroad companies doing business in this state;
- (3) Shall make such just and reasonable rules and regulations as may be necessary for preventing unjust discrimination in the transportation of freight and passengers on the railroads in this state;
- (4) Shall have the power to make, for all connecting railroads doing business in this state, just and reasonable joint rates as to all traffic or business passing from one of those railroads to another, provided that before applying joint rates to railroads that are not under the management and control of a single company, the commission shall give 30 days' notice to the railroads of the joint rate contemplated and of the manner in which it proposes to divide the rate between the railroads, and shall accord a hearing to any company desiring to object to the rates or the manner of their division;
- (5) Shall make reasonable and just rates for the use of railroad cars, no matter by whom owned or carried, carrying any kind of freight and passengers on the railroads; and
- (6) Shall make just and reasonable rules and regulations to prevent the giving or paying of any rebate or bonus, directly or indirectly, and to prevent the misleading or deceiving of the public in any manner as to the real rates charged for freight and passengers.
- (c) The commission shall have full power, by rule and regulation, to designate and fix the difference in rates of freight and passenger transportation to be allowed for long and short distances on the same or different railroads and to ascertain what shall be the limits of long and short distances.
- (d) The commission shall have the power to require the location of such depots and the construction of such freight and passenger buildings as the condition of the railroad, the safety of freight, and the public comfort and convenience may require, upon the giving to such railroad company to be affected thereby the same notice as is provided in paragraph (4) of subsection (b) of this Code section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.