2017 Georgia Code
Title 45 - Public Officers and Employees
Chapter 5 - Vacation of Office
§ 45-5-3. Election or appointment of successor to fill unexpired terms
- (a) In those instances where the law applicable to an elective public office does not provide for filling a vacancy in such office and the Governor fills such vacancy pursuant to the authority of Article V, Section II, Paragraph VIII, subparagraph (a) of the Constitution and in those instances where the Governor fills a vacancy in the office of district attorney pursuant to Article VI, Section VIII, Paragraph I, subparagraph (a) of the Constitution, the vacancy shall be filled as follows:
- (1) If the vacancy occurs during the final 27 months of a term of office, the Governor shall appoint a person to fill such vacancy for the remainder of the unexpired term of office; or
- (2) If the vacancy occurs at any time prior to the time specified in paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Governor shall appoint a person to fill such vacancy until such vacancy is filled for the unexpired term of office at a special election provided for in subsection (b) of this Code section.
- (b) When a special election is required to fill a vacancy for the unexpired term of office as provided by paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of this Code section, such special election shall be held on the same date as the general election which is first held following the date of the vacancy and in conjunction with such general election.
- (c) It shall be the duty of the appropriate state or local election officials to call and conduct the special elections required by subsection (b) of this Code section in accordance with the applicable provisions of Chapter 2 of Title 21, known as the "Georgia Election Code." Any person elected to fill a vacancy pursuant to subsection (b) of this Code section shall possess the qualifications to seek and hold such office provided by law applicable to the office wherein the vacancy occurred.
- (d) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to a vacancy which occurs in any elective office of a municipality of this state.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.