2017 Georgia Code
Title 34 - Labor and Industrial Relations
Chapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 34-1-8. Veterans' preference employment policy; use not a violation
- (a) As used in this Code section, the term:
- (1) "Employer" means any person engaged in business and having one or more employees, but does not include the federal government, state, or any political subdivision of the state.
- (2) "Veteran" means an individual who served on active duty in the armed forces of the United States and was honorably discharged from such service.
- (3) "Veterans' preference employment policy" means any employer's policy of preference in hiring, promoting, or retaining a veteran over any other qualified applicant or employee.
- (b) Any employer may create and use a veterans' preference employment policy, which shall be in writing and applied uniformly to employment decisions regarding hiring, promotion, or retention during a reduction in force.
- (c) An employer's use of a veterans' preference employment policy as provided for in this Code section shall not constitute a violation of any local or state equal employment opportunity law.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.