2017 Georgia Code
Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses
Chapter 8 - Offenses Involving Theft
Article 1 - Theft
§ 16-8-10. Affirmative defenses to prosecution for violation of Code Sections 16-8-2 through 16-8-9
- It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution for violation of Code Sections 16-8-2 through 16-8-9 that the person:
- (1) Was unaware that the property or service was that of another;
- (2) Acted under an honest claim of right to the property or service involved;
- (3) Acted under a right to acquire or dispose of the property as he or she did; provided, however, that the use of a power of attorney as provided in Chapter 6B of Title 10 shall not, in and of itself, absolve a person from criminal responsibility; or
- (4) Took property or service exposed for sale intending to purchase and pay for it promptly or reasonably believing that the owner, if present, would have consented.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.