2017 Georgia Code
Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses
Chapter 5 - Crimes Against the Person
Article 2 - Assault and Battery
§ 16-5-28. Assault on an unborn child
- (a) For the purposes of this Code section, the term "unborn child" means a member of the species homo sapiens at any stage of development who is carried in the womb.
- (b) A person commits the offense of assault of an unborn child when such person, without legal justification, attempts to inflict violent injury to an unborn child.
- (c) Any person convicted of the offense of assault of an unborn child shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
- (d) Nothing in this Code section shall be construed to permit the prosecution of:
- (1) Any person for conduct relating to an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman, or person authorized by law to act on her behalf, has been obtained or for which such consent is implied by law;
- (2) Any person for any medical treatment of the pregnant woman or her unborn child; or
- (3) Any woman with respect to her unborn child.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.