2016 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 8 - Equipment and Inspection of Motor Vehicles
Article 1 - Equipment Generally
Part 6 - Equipment of School Buses
§ 40-8-114. Operation of school buses by churches, private schools, and local transit systems; transportation of school children on buses owned or operated by public transit systems
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title to the contrary, churches, private schools, or local transit systems may operate school buses meeting the equipment, color, and marking requirements of Code Sections 40-8-110 through 40-8-112 and 40-8-115 and drivers of such vehicles shall be required to stop as set forth in Code Section 40-6-163. For purposes of this subsection, only churches and private schools are authorized to comply with Code Sections 40-8-110 through 40-8-112, and only local transit systems are authorized to comply with Code Section 40-8-115.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title to the contrary, the requirements relating to buses used for the transportation of school children, which requirements are contained in the following Code sections:
(1) Code Section 40-6-160, relating to speed limits;
(2) Code Section 40-6-161, relating to headlamps;
(3) Code Section 40-6-162, relating to use of visual signals;
(4) Code Section 40-6-163, relating to meeting or passing school buses;
(5) Code Section 40-8-110, relating to identification and color;
(6) Code Section 40-8-111, relating to equipment generally;
(7) Code Section 40-8-112, relating to compliance with certain State Board of Education specifications;
(8) Code Section 40-8-115, relating to identification and equipment of certain school buses; and
(9) Code Section 40-8-220, relating to inspection of school buses,
shall not apply to any bus which is owned or operated by a publicly owned and operated transit system and which either transports school children to and from school on regular or scheduled routes with regular fare-paying passengers or which engages in tripper service.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.