There is a newer version of the Georgia Code
2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 44-3-99 (2010)
TITLE 44 - PROPERTY
CHAPTER 3 - REGULATION OF SPECIALIZED LAND TRANSACTIONS
ARTICLE 3 - CONDOMINIUMS
§ 44-3-99 - Withdrawal of submitted property; reallocation to remaining units of undivided interest in common elements; contents of amendment; transfer of mortgages and liens
44-3-99. Withdrawal of submitted property; reallocation to remaining units of undivided interest in common elements; contents of amendment; transfer of mortgages and liens
(a) Unless the condominium instruments expressly prohibit the withdrawal of any submitted property from the condominium, submitted property may be withdrawn but only in accordance with this Code section and any restrictions or limitations which the condominium instruments may specify, the property being withdrawn hereinafter being referred to as the "withdrawn property"; provided, however, that no unit or limited common element may be withdrawn in part.
(b) Submitted property may be withdrawn from the condominium only by an amendment to the condominium instruments agreed to by the following required persons:
(1) The owner of each unit which is being withdrawn;
(2) The owner of each unit to which pertains any limited common element which is being withdrawn;
(3) The declarant, if, at the time of the withdrawal there shall exist any unexpired option to add any additional property to the condominium, or if, at the time of the withdrawal, the declarant has the right to control the association pursuant to Code Section 44-3-101;
(4) The owners of the units to which pertain four-fifths of the votes in the association or such larger majority as may be specified in the condominium instruments, exclusive of the votes appertaining to the units owned by the persons required in paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection. If none of the units in the condominium are restricted exclusively to residential use, the condominium instruments may specify a majority smaller than four-fifths; and
(5) Each mortgagee of the units owned by the required persons set forth in paragraphs (1) through (4) of this subsection.
(c) If the withdrawn property includes any unit, the amendment effectuating the withdrawal shall specify the reallocation to the remaining units of the undivided interest in the common elements, the number of votes in the association, and the share of liability for common expenses pertaining to the unit or units being withdrawn. The reallocation of each item shall be in proportion to the allocation of the item among the remaining units immediately prior to the effectuation of the withdrawal.
(d) If the withdrawn property does not include any unit or any limited common element, the withdrawn property shall, upon the effective date of the amendment, be owned by the unit owners as tenants in common in proportion to their respective undivided interest in the common elements immediately prior to the effective date.
(e) If any unit or any limited common element is included in the withdrawn property, the amendment shall allocate to the owner of each such unit or of each unit to which each such limited common element pertains, as the case may be, an undivided interest in the withdrawn property in consideration for the withdrawal of the unit or limited common element. The remaining undivided interest in the withdrawn property shall be allocated among the unit owners, including the owners of any unit or units to which there are appurtenant limited common elements which are being withdrawn, in proportion to their respective undivided interests in the common elements immediately preceding the effective date of the amendment.
(f) The amendment to the declaration effectuating the withdrawal of submitted property shall be executed by those persons whose agreement thereto is required under subsection (b) of this Code section and shall include:
(1) A legal description by metes and bounds of the withdrawn property;
(2) A legal description by metes and bounds of the remaining submitted property;
(3) The effective date of the amendment if subsequent to the date of recording the amendment;
(4) The undivided interest in the withdrawn property being allocated to each unit owner; and
(5) The undivided interest in the common elements, the number of votes in the association, and the share of liability for common expenses pertaining to each unit remaining in the condominium.
The amendment shall become effective only when it and all plats required in connection therewith under subsection (e) of Code Section 44-3-83 shall have been recorded or at such later date as may be specified therein.
(g) Upon the effective date of the amendment, the withdrawn property shall be owned by the unit owners as tenants in common having the undivided interests set forth in the amendment. As long as the tenancy in common lasts, however, each unit owner and his heirs, representatives, successors, and assigns shall have the same right of occupancy and use of that portion of the withdrawn property which formerly constituted his unit and the limited common elements appurtenant thereto, if any, as existed immediately prior to the withdrawal and a nonexclusive right to use that portion of the withdrawn property which formerly constituted common elements other than limited common elements.
(h) Upon the effective date of the amendment, mortgages and liens of unit owners theretofore affecting any portion of the withdrawn property shall, regarding the withdrawn property, be deemed to be transferred in accordance with their existing priorities to the undivided interests of the respective owners in the withdrawn property. Mortgages and liens of the unit owners theretofore affecting any portion of the remaining submitted property shall, regarding such remaining submitted property, not be affected by the withdrawal and shall continue in full force and effect; provided, however, that, in the case of mortgages or liens theretofore affecting only a condominium unit or units which are included within the withdrawn property, the lien of such mortgage or lien shall be transferred wholly to the undivided interest of the owner or owners of such unit or units in the withdrawn property, including both the undivided interest allocated in consideration of the withdrawal of said units and the undivided interest allocated in common to all unit owners, and the lien of such mortgage or lien shall not thereafter affect or be applicable to any portion of the remaining submitted property.
(i) After the effective date of the amendment and except as otherwise expressly provided in this Code section, the withdrawn property and the rights and obligations of the unit owners with respect thereto shall be subject to and governed by the laws of this state pertaining to tenancies in common for as long as the tenancy in common lasts.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.