There is a newer version of the Georgia Code
2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 44-3-86 (2010)
TITLE 44 - PROPERTY
CHAPTER 3 - REGULATION OF SPECIALIZED LAND TRANSACTIONS
ARTICLE 3 - CONDOMINIUMS
§ 44-3-86 - Leasehold condominiums; lessor's rights and powers; owner's rights and powers; liens; performance of covenants
44-3-86. Leasehold condominiums; lessor's rights and powers; owner's rights and powers; liens; performance of covenants
(a) As used in this Code section, the term "lessor" means any lessor, sublessor, or grantor of an estate for years.
(b) In the case of any leasehold condominium:
(1) After the recording of the declaration, no lessor who executed the declaration and no successor-in-interest to the lessor shall have any right or power to terminate all or any part of the leasehold interest of any unit owner so long as the condominium shall exist;
(2) In the event that any such lessor shall acquire title to or any other interest in any unit by any method whatsoever, the undivided interest thereby acquired by the lessor in the common elements shall not be merged with the lessor's underlying interest in the submitted property; but the two estates shall remain separate and divided so long as the condominium shall exist;
(3) If provided for in the condominium instruments, the obligation of each unit owner to pay rents and any other amounts under any lease from any lessor shall be secured by a lien upon the condominium unit of the unit owner. The lien shall be prior to all other liens and encumbrances on that condominium unit except liens for ad valorem taxes; and any other lien or encumbrance which the condominium instruments provide shall be superior thereto. The lien shall secure all costs incurred, including, without limitation, reasonable attorney's fees, in connection with the foreclosure thereof and may be foreclosed by action, judgment, and foreclosure in the same manner as is provided for any other lien for the improvement of real property;
(4) Unless otherwise provided in the condominium instruments and except as provided in paragraph (5) of this Code section, no unit owner shall be obligated to pay any amount in excess of the rents due and payable under any lease multiplied by the percentage or other proportion of the unit owner's liability for the rents as set forth in the declaration;
(5) Unless otherwise provided in the condominium instruments, no lessor shall be entitled to require performance by any unit owner of any covenant of any such lease in any form other than by the payment of money by the unit owner; provided, however, that, in the event of any default under any lease other than default in the payment of money, the lessor shall be entitled to perform any defaulted covenant and charge all reasonable costs incurred in connection with performance, including, without limitation, reasonable attorney's fees, against the unit owners in proportion to their liability for the rents, which costs shall be considered rent for purposes of the lien provided for in paragraph (3) of this Code section; and
(6) Except as limited in this Code section, in the condominium instruments, or by law, any lessor shall have all rights and powers provided by law or by his lease.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.