2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 42-8-60 (2010)
TITLE 42 - PENAL INSTITUTIONS
CHAPTER 8 - PROBATION
ARTICLE 3 - PROBATION OF FIRST OFFENDERS
§ 42-8-60 - Probation prior to adjudication of guilt; violation of probation; review of criminal record by judge
42-8-60. Probation prior to adjudication of guilt; violation of probation; review of criminal record by judge
(a) Upon a verdict or plea of guilty or a plea of nolo contendere, but before an adjudication of guilt, in the case of a defendant who has not been previously convicted of a felony, the court may, without entering a judgment of guilt and with the consent of the defendant:
(1) Defer further proceeding and place the defendant on probation as provided by law; or
(2) Sentence the defendant to a term of confinement as provided by law.
(b) Upon violation by the defendant of the terms of probation, upon a conviction for another crime during the period of probation, or upon the court determining that the defendant is or was not eligible for sentencing under this article, the court may enter an adjudication of guilt and proceed as otherwise provided by law. No person may avail himself or herself of this article on more than one occasion.
(c) The court shall not sentence a defendant under the provisions of this article and, if sentenced under the provisions of this article, shall not discharge the defendant upon completion of the sentence unless the court has reviewed the defendant's criminal record as such is on file with the Georgia Crime Information Center.
(d) The court shall not sentence a defendant under the provisions of this article who has been found guilty of or entered a plea of guilty or a plea of nolo contendere for:
(1) A serious violent felony as such term is defined in Code Section 17-10-6.1;
(2) A sexual offense as such term is defined in Code Section 17-10-6.2;
(3) Sexual exploitation of a minor as defined in Code Section 16-12-100;
(4) Electronically furnishing obscene material to a minor as defined in Code Section 16-12-100.1; or
(5) Computer pornography and child exploitation, as defined in Code Section 16-12-100.2.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.