2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 20-3-519.12 (2010)
TITLE 20 - EDUCATION
CHAPTER 3 - POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION
ARTICLE 7 - SCHOLARSHIPS, LOANS, AND GRANTS
PART 7 - HOPE SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS
§ 20-3-519.12 - Eligibility for Promise II teacher's scholarship; amounts; application of scholarship; no minimal hour enrollment
20-3-519.12. Eligibility for Promise II teacher's scholarship; amounts; application of scholarship; no minimal hour enrollment
(a) As used in this Code section, the term "paraprofessional" shall have the same meaning as provided in Code Section 20-2-204.
(b) To be eligible for a PROMISE II teacher's scholarship, a student seeking a bachelor's degree in teacher education shall:
(1) Meet residency requirements by:
(A) In the case of a student attending a unit of the University System of Georgia, meeting the requirements to be eligible for in-state tuition under the policy set by the board of regents; or
(B) In the case of a student attending an eligible private postsecondary institution, being classified as a legal resident of Georgia for the purposes of a tuition equalization grant;
(2) Be employed in a public school in Georgia as a paraprofessional or instructional aide and have been employed in a public school in Georgia as a paraprofessional or instructional aide throughout the 1999-2000 school year;
(3) Be accepted for enrollment into an approved teacher education program in Georgia leading to initial certification;
(4) Not yet have obtained a baccalaureate degree; and
(5) Agree to teach in a public school in Georgia at the preschool, elementary, middle, or secondary level for one academic year for each 30 semester or 45 quarter hours completed using PROMISE II scholarship funds and sign a promissory note that stipulates the cash repayment obligation incurred if the teaching service is not fulfilled.
(c) Subject to the amounts appropriated by the General Assembly and provisions relating to the scholarship shortfall reserve subaccount in Code Section 50-27-13, a PROMISE II teacher's scholarship shall not exceed the cost of tuition, approved mandatory fees, and a book allowance not to exceed $100.00 per quarter or $150.00 per semester for a student enrolled in a unit of the University System of Georgia and shall not exceed $3,000.00 for a student attending an eligible private postsecondary institution.
(d) A PROMISE II teacher's scholarship may be applied toward no more than 30 semester or 45 quarter hours of study subject to appropriation by the General Assembly.
(e) For students eligible for a PROMISE II teacher's scholarship under this Code section, no minimum number of hours of enrollment is required.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.