2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 20-2-775 (2010)
TITLE 20 - EDUCATION
CHAPTER 2 - ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
ARTICLE 16 - STUDENTS
PART 3 - HEALTH
§ 20-2-775 - Automated external defibrillator required in high schools; requirements; funding
20-2-775. Automated external defibrillator required in high schools; requirements; funding
(a) As used in this Code section, the term "automated external defibrillator" means a defibrillator which:
(1) Is capable of cardiac rhythm analysis;
(2) Will charge and be capable of being activated to deliver a countershock after electrically detecting the presence of certain cardiac dysrhythmias; and
(3) Is capable of continuously recording cardiac dysrhythmia at the scene with a mechanism for transfer and storage or for printing for review subsequent to use.
(b) No later than July 1, 2008, each public high school in this state which has an interscholastic athletics program shall have at least one functional automated external defibrillator on site at such school at all times and easily accessible during any school related function, including athletic practices, athletic competitions, and other occasions where students and others will be present, for use during emergencies.
(c) Each high school possessing and maintaining an automated external defibrillator shall:
(1) Ensure that expected users of the automated external defibrillator receive American Heart Association or American Red Cross training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillator use or complete an equivalent nationally recognized course;
(2) Notify the appropriate emergency medical services system of the existence and location of the automated external defibrillator prior to said automated external defibrillator being placed in use;
(3) Ensure that the automated external defibrillator is maintained and tested according to the manufacturer's operational guidelines;
(4) Ensure that there is involvement of a licensed physician or other person authorized by the composite board in the site's automated external defibrillator program to ensure compliance with requirements for training, notification, and maintenance; and
(5) Ensure that designated personnel activate the emergency medical services system as soon as reasonably possible after any person renders emergency care or treatment to a person in cardiac arrest by using an automated external defibrillator and reports any clinical use of the automated external defibrillator to the licensed physician or other person authorized by the composite board who is supervising the program.
(d) Subject to appropriations by the General Assembly, the Department of Education shall provide funds to local school systems to assist in the purchase of automated external defibrillators pursuant to this Code section.
(e) The department and local school systems shall use diligent efforts to identify private sources of funding or donation of funding and equipment to meet the requirements of this Code section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.