2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 20-1A-2 (2010)
TITLE 20 - EDUCATION
CHAPTER 1A - EARLY CARE AND LEARNING
ARTICLE 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 20-1A-2 - Definitions
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Board" means the Board of Early Care and Learning.
(2) "Child care learning center" means a day-care center that participates in Georgia's Pre-K Program.
(3) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of the Department of Early Care and Learning.
(4) "Day-care center" means any place operated by a person, society, agency, corporation, institution, or group wherein are received for pay for group care for less than 24 hours per day, without transfer of legal custody, 19 or more children under 18 years of age; provided, however, that this term shall not include a private school which provides kindergarten through grade 12 education, meets the requirements of Code Section 20-2-690, and is accredited by one or more of the entities listed in subparagraph (A) of paragraph (6) of Code Section 20-3-519 and which provides care before, after, or both before and after the customary school day to its students as an auxiliary service to such students during the regular school year only.
(5) "Department" means the Department of Early Care and Learning.
(6) "Early care and education programs" include all family day-care homes, group day-care homes, day-care centers, and child care learning centers.
(7) "Early childhood" means the period of childhood from birth to age six.
(8) "Family day-care home" means a private residence operated by any person who receives therein for pay for supervision and care fewer than 24 hours per day, without transfer of legal custody, at least three but not more than six children under 18 years of age who are not related to such person and whose parents or guardians are not residents in the same private residence.
(9) "Group day-care home" means any place operated by any person or group wherein are received for pay not less than seven nor more than 18 children under 18 years of age for care and supervision for less than 24 hours per day.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.