2010 Georgia Code
O.C.G.A. 19-9-124 (2010)
TITLE 19 - DOMESTIC RELATIONS
CHAPTER 9 - CHILD CUSTODY PROCEEDINGS
ARTICLE 4 - POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR THE CARE OF A MINOR CHILD
§ 19-9-124 - Liability; education; compliance with court orders
19-9-124. Liability; education; compliance with court orders
(a) An agent grandparent under a power of attorney for the care of a minor child shall act in the best interests of the minor child. Such agent grandparent shall not be liable for consenting or refusing to consent to medical, dental, or mental health care for a minor child when such decision is made in good faith and is exercised in the best interests of the minor child.
(b) (1) The agent grandparent shall have the right to enroll the minor child in a public school serving the area where the agent grandparent resides and may enroll the minor child in a private school, pre-kindergarten program, or home study program.
(2) The public school shall allow such agent grandparent with a properly executed power of attorney for the care of a minor child to enroll the minor child.
(3) At the time of enrollment the grandparent shall provide to the school such residency documentation as is customary in that school district.
(4) The school may request reasonable evidence of the stated hardship.
(5) If a public school denies enrollment of a minor child under this Code section, such denial may be appealed and shall be treated as any other denial of enrollment of a child in that school district, including all of the remedies otherwise available when enrollment is denied to a child.
(6) Except where limited by federal law, the agent grandparent shall have the same rights, duties, and responsibilities that would otherwise be exercised by the parent pursuant to the laws of this state.
(7) An agent grandparent shall be obligated to comply with any existing court order relative to the child, including, but not limited to, any visitation order.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Georgia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.