2011 Florida Statutes
TITLE XLV — TORTS
Chapter 768 — NEGLIGENCE
PART I — GENERAL PROVISIONS
768.18 — Definitions.
768.18 Definitions.—As used in ss. 768.16-768.26:
(1) Survivors means the decedent s spouse, children, parents, and, when partly or wholly dependent on the decedent for support or services, any blood relatives and adoptive brothers and sisters. It includes the child born out of wedlock of a mother, but not the child born out of wedlock of the father unless the father has recognized a responsibility for the child s support.
(2) Minor children means children under 25 years of age, notwithstanding the age of majority.
(3) Support includes contributions in kind as well as money.
(4) Services means tasks, usually of a household nature, regularly performed by the decedent that will be a necessary expense to the survivors of the decedent. These services may vary according to the identity of the decedent and survivor and shall be determined under the particular facts of each case.
(5) Net accumulations means the part of the decedent s expected net business or salary income, including pension benefits, that the decedent probably would have retained as savings and left as part of her or his estate if the decedent had lived her or his normal life expectancy. Net business or salary income is the part of the decedent s probable gross income after taxes, excluding income from investments continuing beyond death, that remains after deducting the decedent s personal expenses and support of survivors, excluding contributions in kind.
History.—s. 1, ch. 72-35; s. 66, ch. 77-121; s. 40, ch. 77-468; s. 1, ch. 81-183; s. 3, ch. 89-61; s. 1, ch. 90-14; s. 1167, ch. 97-102; s. 107, ch. 2003-1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Florida may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.