2018 District of Columbia Code
Title 47 - Taxation, Licensing, Permits, Assessments, and Fees. [Enacted title]
Chapter 28 - General License Law.
Subchapter I-A - General Provisions.
§ 47–2851.05. Business license center.
(a) There is created the Business License Center (“Center”) within the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
(b) The duties of the Center shall include the following:
(1) Developing and administering a computerized “one-stop” basic business license system capable of storing, retrieving, and exchanging license information with due regard to privacy statutes, as well as issuing and renewing basic business licenses in an efficient manner;
(2) Creating a license information service that shall provide to any member of the public, upon request, printed or electronic information detailing requirements to establish or engage in business in the District, including a list of all information, approvals, documents, and payments required for each and every license issued by the District government;
(3) Providing for staggered basic business license renewal, as set forth in § 47-2851.09;
(4) Identifying types of licenses appropriate for inclusion in the basic business license system;
(5) Recommending, in reports to the Mayor and the Council, the elimination, consolidation, or other modification of duplicative, ineffective, or inefficient licensing or inspection requirements;
(6) Incorporating licenses into the basic business license system;
(7) Providing a license information service to prepare and distribute license information packets that detail requirements for establishing or engaging in business in the District of Columbia; and
(8) Maintaining a registry of fictitious names or trade names as defined in § 47-2852.02, indicating the party or parties doing business under those names.
(c) The Director shall establish the position of Deputy Director of the Department who shall be responsible for the operation of the Center.
(d) The Director shall promulgate such regulations as may be necessary to effectuate the purposes of this subchapter.
(Apr. 29, 1998, D.C. Law 12-86, § 101(b), 45 DCR 1172; Apr. 20, 1999, D.C. Law 12-261, § 2002(b), (g), 46 DCR 3142; Oct. 28, 2003, D.C. Law 15-38,§ 2(g), 50 DCR 6913; Feb. 18, 2017, D.C. Law 21-213, § 3(c), 63 DCR 15330.)Prior Codifications
1981 Ed., § 47-2851.5.Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 15-38, in pars. (1), (3), (4), and (6) of subsec. (b), substituted “basic” for “master” throughout.Applicability
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-213: § 4 of D.C. Law 21-213 provided that the creation of this section by § 3(c) of D.C. Law 21-213 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.Emergency Legislation
For temporary (90 day) amendment of section, see § 2(g) of Streamlining Regulation Emergency Act of 2003 (D.C. Act 15-145, August 11, 2003, 50 DCR 6896).