2022 Delaware Code
Title 14 - Education
Chapter 11. RECRUITING AND TRAINING OF PROFESSIONAL EDUCATORS FOR CRITICAL CURRICULAR AREAS
§ 1108. Student Loan Program.
(a) The Department of Education with State Board approval may provide a Student Loan Program and shall make rules and regulations for the conduct of this Program to include at least the following:
(1) The candidate for a loan must have been admitted to an accredited institution of higher learning in a program that will result in training and certification in Delaware as a teacher in a critical curricular area designated by the Department of Education with State Board approval;
(2) The recipient of any such loan shall execute a promissory note in the amount of the loan to the State Treasurer;
(3) The loan will be forgiven on the basis of 2 years of teaching as a certified teacher in an actual critical curricular area in a Delaware public elementary or secondary school for each year of college training;
(4) Such loan shall be interest free to persons who meet the teaching obligation;
(5) Necessary replacement procedures and interest requirements for persons who do not teach or fulfill the teaching obligation as provided in paragraph (a)(3) of this section shall be established by the Department of Education with State Board approval;
(6) The loan may be renewed from year to year through a 4-year training program, based upon the criteria adopted by the Department of Education with State Board approval;
(7) A student selected for such a program may attend any accredited college or university in the United States where the appropriate training will result in certification as a teacher in this State.
(b) A loan made pursuant to subsection (a) of this section may be forgiven by the Secretary of Education if the Secretary determines that the recipient is unable to meet that recipient's repayment obligation because of total and permanent disability or death. The Secretary may require such documents as the Secretary considers necessary to verify a claim of disability or death, including but not limited to a sworn affidavit from a qualified physician or a death certificate. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in this chapter, the Department of Education may promulgate rules and regulations to implement this subsection.64 Del. Laws, c. 341, § 1; 68 Del. Laws, c. 84, § 209; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 71 Del. Laws, c. 180, § 59; 74 Del. Laws, c. 97, § 1;