2019 Delaware Code
Title 30 - State Taxes
Chapter 51. Motor Fuel Tax
Subchapter III State Aid to Municipalities for Streets
§ 5165 Expenditures of funds by municipalities; records, audits and regulations of municipalities.
(a) Each municipality shall keep an accounting of all funds received from the state municipal aid fund and may expend such funds as follows:
(1) An amount not exceeding 30% of the annual grant may be used for the following purposes:
a. Paving of the street after construction, installation, repair, maintenance or replacement of water and sewer systems associated with a street;
b. Preparation or revision of the mobility element of the comprehensive plans;
c. Payment of principal and interest on any bonds issued for the purpose of paragraph (a)(1)a. of this section, notwithstanding that such indebtedness may have been incurred prior to May 27, 1972.
(2) Any portion of the annual grant not expended pursuant to paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be expended for the following purposes:
a. Street improvements;
b. Lighting of the streets and all expenses related thereto;
c. Payment of principal and interest on any bonds issued for street improvements.
d. Preparation or revision of inventory of all municipal infrastructure.
(b) Each municipality shall:
(1) Furnish evidence annually to the State Treasurer that the municipal employees authorized to expend municipal street aid funds are bonded in an amount as may be required by the charter of the municipality;
(2) In a form prescribed by the State Treasurer, submit an accurate and complete annual report not later than August 15 of each year to the State Treasurer showing expenditures of municipal street aid funds for the preceding fiscal year ended June 30. Such form shall itemize each expenditure as represented on said form as “Other expenditures”. Payment for the current fiscal year will not be issued until the report for the preceding fiscal year has been received by the State Treasurer’s Office;
(3) Award contracts for street improvements which shall be in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 69 of Title 29, and any applicable specifications of the Department of Transportation;
(4) On or before May 15 of each year, file with the Department of Transportation an affidavit signed by the mayor, city manager or president of the council of the municipality, setting forth:
a. The population of the municipality, based on the latest official estimate prepared by either the United States Bureau of the Census or the Delaware Population Consortium. For purposes of this subchapter, the population of a municipality can be adjusted between the latest decennial census, the latest official estimate prepared by either the United States Census Bureau or the Delaware Population Consortium by providing proof of new dwelling construction through “certificate of occupancy.” The population of the municipality which is a summer resort shall be deemed to include all property owners entitled to vote in a municipal election; and
b. A tabulation of streets added during the past fiscal year which are dedicated to public use and maintained by their municipal forces. Said tabulations should include street names, starting and ending points, and length in feet or miles, and be accompanied by a map indicating location of any new streets.
(c) Pending expenditure of funds received pursuant to § 5163 of this title, a municipality may make short-term investments of such funds in United States government securities or may deposit same in any bank or savings and loan association interest-bearing accounts or certificates guaranteed by any agency of the United States government. Any interest earned on such investments or deposits shall be used for the purposes set forth in paragraph (a)(2) of this section. Such investments or deposits shall not be deemed to be “expenditures” of the funds as set forth in subsection (a) of this section.
30 Del. C. 1953, § 5165; 51 Del. Laws, c. 55, § 1; 57 Del. Laws, c. 343; 57 Del. Laws, c. 741, §§ 24C, 24F, 24G; 58 Del. Laws, c. 150; 58 Del. Laws, c. 409, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 216, § 3; 59 Del. Laws, c. 435, § 2; 60 Del. Laws, c. 113, § 48; 60 Del. Laws, c. 421, § 1; 61 Del. Laws, c. 44, § 1; 67 Del. Laws, c. 285, §§ 53(b)-(d); 73 Del. Laws, c. 95, § 99; 81 Del. Laws, c. 336, § 1.