2019 Delaware Code
Title 12 - Decedents' Estates and Fiduciary Relations
Chapter 45. Delaware Uniform Transfers to Minors Act
§ 4507 Transfer by obligor.

Universal Citation: 12 DE Code § 4507 (2019)

(a) Subject to subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person not subject to § 4505 or § 4506 of this title who holds property of or owes a liquidated debt to a minor not having a guardian may make an irrevocable transfer to a custodian for the benefit of the minor pursuant to § 4509 of this title.

(b) If a person having the right to do so under § 4503 of this title has nominated a custodian under that section to receive the custodial property, the transfer must be made to that person.

(c) If no custodian has been nominated under § 4503 of this title, or all persons so nominated as custodian die before the transfer or are unable, decline or are ineligible to serve, a transfer under this section may be made to an adult member of the minor’s family or to a trust company unless the property exceeds $50,000 in value or, if the property exceeds $50,000 in value, the custodian designated by the transferor is approved by the Court.

(d) A transfer under subsection (a) may be made:

(1) If the transferor considers the transfer to be in the best interest of the minor, which shall be presumed in the absence of contrary facts actually known to the transferor; and

(2) If the property exceeds $50,000 in value, the custodian designated by the transferor is approved by the Court.

If a transfer is made in conformity with the preceding provisions of this section and § 4509 of this title, the transferor shall have no liability to the minor therefor, including any obligation to see to the application of the proceeds of such transfer.

70 Del. Laws, c. 393, § 1; 71 Del. Laws, c. 196, §§ 6-8; 74 Del. Laws, c. 269, § 2.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Delaware may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.