2016 Delaware Code
Title 25 - Property
CHAPTER 53. LANDLORD OBLIGATIONS AND TENANT REMEDIES
§ 5314. Tenant's right to early termination.
(a) Except as is otherwise provided in this part, whenever either party to a rental agreement rightfully elects to terminate, the duties of each party under the rental agreement shall cease and all parties shall thereupon discharge any remaining obligations as soon as is practicable.
(b) Upon 30 days' written notice, which 30-day period shall begin on the first day of the month following the day of actual notice, the tenancy may be terminated:
(1) By the tenant, whenever a change in location of the tenant's employment with the tenant's present employer requires a change in the location of the tenant's residence in excess of 30 miles;
(2) By the tenant, whenever the serious illness of the tenant or the death or serious illness of a member of the tenant's immediate family, residing therein, requires a change in the location of the tenant's residence on a permanent basis;
(3) By the tenant, when the tenant is accepted for admission to a senior citizens' housing facility, including subsidized public or private housing, or a group or cooperative living facility or retirement home;
(4) By the tenant, when the tenant is accepted for admission into a rental unit subsidized by a governmental entity or by a private nonprofit corporation, including subsidized private or public housing;
(5) By the tenant who, after the execution of such rental agreement, enters the military service of the United States on active duty;
(6) By a tenant who is the victim of domestic abuse, sexual offenses, stalking, or a tenant who has obtained or is seeking relief from domestic violence or abuse from any court, police agency, or domestic violence program or service; or
(7) By the surviving spouse or personal representative of the estate of the tenant, upon the death of the tenant.
70 Del. Laws, c. 513, § 2; 75 Del. Laws, c. 293, § 2.;
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Delaware may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.