2014 Delaware Code
Title 21 - Motor Vehicles
CHAPTER 43. EQUIPMENT AND CONSTRUCTION OF VEHICLES
Subchapter II Lights
§ 4343. Lamp or flag on projecting load
(a) Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear 4 feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the time specified in § 4331 of this title, a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern required under this section shall be, in addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square and so hung that the entire area is visible to the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) Any vehicle carrying wooden prefabricated roof trusses in an inverted position, if the trusses do not extend more than 10 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle;
(2) A combination of vehicles carrying an indivisible load if the load is not over 70 feet long, and the load is being transported during daylight hours; or
(3) Any vehicle or combination of vehicles carrying:
a. Piling, poles or mill logs;
b. Nursery stock; or
c. Crew or racing shells.
(c) Subject to the maximum length limits of this section, the load on any vehicle operated alone or the load on the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, may not extend more than 3 feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle; and
(2) May extend more than 3 feet beyond the foremost part of a vehicle equipped with front-end loading attachments and containers used in collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse or recyclable materials when the vehicle is actively engaged in collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse or recyclable materials.
21 Del. C. 1953, § 4343; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 71 Del. Laws, c. 249, §§ 1, 2.;
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Delaware may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.