2019 Connecticut General Statutes
Title 42 - Business, Selling, Trading and Collection Practices
Chapter 734b - Time Shares
Section 42-103ww - Annual statement of time share plan or time share property provided by managing entity upon request. Audits. Unfair trade practice. Posting in registration area of accommodation. Extension. Enforcement.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the required time share disclosure statement, project instrument, time share instrument or bylaws adopted pursuant to a time share instrument, the managing entity shall make a written annual statement of the operation of the time share plan or time share properties managed by the managing entity if assessments are deposited in a common account, to each purchaser who requests such statement not later than five months after the last day of each fiscal year. The statement shall fairly and accurately represent the collection and expenditure of assessments and include:
(1) A balance sheet;
(2) An income and expense statement;
(3) The current budget for the time share property, time share properties managed by the same managing entity or multisite time share plan required by subdivision (12) of subsection (b) of section 42-103mm or subdivision (17) of subsection (d) of section 42-103mm; and
(4) The name, address, and telephone number of a designated representative of the managing entity.
(b) At the request of an owner, the managing entity of the time share plan shall provide such owner with the name and address of each member of the board of directors of the owners' association, if one exists.
(c) A developer or managing entity shall have an annual independent audit of the financial statements of the time share plan or time share properties managed by the managing entity performed by a certified public accountant or an accounting firm. The audit shall be:
(1) Conducted in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards as prescribed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Governmental Accounting Standards Board, the United States General Accounting Office or other professionally recognized entities that prescribe auditing standards; and
(2) Completed not later than five months after the last day of the fiscal year of the time share plan or time share property.
(d) Knowingly furnishing false information in the annual time share fee and expense statement shall be an unfair trade practice in violation of chapter 735a.
(e) The managing entity of any accommodation located in this state shall post prominently in the registration area of the accommodations the following notice, with the date of the last day of the current fiscal year and the address of the managing entity inserted where indicated:
“AS A TIME SHARE OWNER YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO REQUEST A WRITTEN ANNUAL TIME SHARE FEE AND EXPENSE STATEMENT. THIS STATEMENT IS PREPARED ANNUALLY BY THE MANAGING ENTITY AND WILL BE AVAILABLE NO LATER THAN FIVE MONTHS FOLLOWING (INSERT THE DATE OF THE LAST DAY OF THE CURRENT FISCAL YEAR). YOU MAY REQUEST THE STATEMENT, BY WRITING TO (INSERT ADDRESS OF THE MANAGING ENTITY).”.
(f) On receipt of a written request filed with the commissioner by a managing entity before the date on which the statement required by this section shall be made available, the commissioner may, for good cause shown, grant the managing entity an extension of not more than thirty days in which to provide the statement.
(g) If the statement required by this section is late and an extension has not been granted under subsection (f) of this section, the commissioner may institute, through the Office of the Attorney General, an action for injunctive relief.
(P.A. 09-156, S. 21.)
History: P.A. 09-156 effective January 1, 2010.