2016 Connecticut General Statutes
Title 45a - Probate Courts and Procedure
Chapter 802h - Protected Persons and Their Property
Section 45a-694 - (Formerly Sec. 45-78t). Appointment of counsel to represent respondent. Compensation.

Universal Citation: CT Gen Stat § 45a-694 (2016)

Upon the filing of an application for a determination of an individual's ability to give informed consent to sterilization, the court shall appoint legal counsel to represent any respondent who has not selected a counsel to represent such respondent in response to the application. Such legal counsel shall be from a panel of attorneys admitted to practice in this state provided by the Probate Court Administrator in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Probate Court Administrator in accordance with section 45a-77. In establishing such panel, the Probate Court Administrator shall seek recommendations from the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities, which may be included in such panel. The reasonable compensation of an appointed legal counsel shall be established by the court. Such compensation shall be charged to the respondent provided, if the court finds such respondent is unable to pay such compensation, it shall be paid from the Probate Court Administration Fund.

(P.A. 79-543, S. 5, 14; P.A. 93-262, S. 1, 87; P.A. 00-166, S. 1; P.A. 01-195, S. 30, 181.)

History: Sec. 45-78t transferred to Sec. 45a-694 in 1991; P.A. 93-262 authorized substitution of commissioner and department of social services for commissioner and department of human resources, effective July 1, 1993; P.A. 00-166 made a technical change, deleted provision re recommendation of the Department of Consumer Protection and changed payment for compensation of legal counsel from funds appropriated to the Department of Social Services to the Probate Court Administration Fund; P.A. 01-195 made technical changes, effective July 11, 2001.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.