2015 Connecticut General Statutes
Title 12 - Taxation
Chapter 228c - Gift Tax
Section 12-644 - Returns.
(a) Any individual, whether resident or nonresident, liable for a return under this chapter, who in the calendar year makes any transfer by gift not excluded in this chapter shall make a return with respect to the gift tax imposed by this chapter.
(b) If the donor dies before filing his return, the executor of his will or the administrator of his estate shall file the return. If the donor becomes legally incompetent before filing his return, his guardian or conservator shall file the return.
(c) The return shall set forth:
(1) Each gift made during the calendar year which is to be included in computing the taxable gifts.
(2) The deductions claimed and allowable under section 12-643.
(3) A description of the gift, and the donee’s name, address and Social Security account number.
(4) The fair market value of gifts not made in money.
(5) Such further information as the Commissioner of Revenue Services may find necessary to administer properly the provisions of this chapter.
(d) (1) If any gift which is required to be shown on a return under this chapter is not shown on such return, or if the information set forth in such return fails to meet the requirements of subsection (c) of this section, any tax imposed by this chapter on such undisclosed gift may be assessed at any time with respect to that gift, even if the commissioner has filed a return on behalf of the taxpayer in accordance with section 12-649.
(2) In the case of any item adequately disclosed in such return in accordance with subsection (c) of this section, the provisions of subdivision (1) of this subsection shall not apply.
(June Sp. Sess. P.A. 91-3, S. 140, 168; P.A. 06-194, S. 19.)
History: June Sp. Sess. P.A. 91-3, S. 140 effective August 22, 1991, and applicable to gifts made on or after September 1, 1991; P.A. 06-194 added Subsec. (d) re assessment of tax on undisclosed gifts, effective June 9, 2006, and applicable to gifts made during calendar years commencing on or after January 1, 2006.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.