2013 Connecticut General Statutes
Title 53a - Penal Code
Chapter 952 - Penal Code: Offenses
Section 53a-181i - Intimidation based on bigotry or bias: Definitions.
For the purposes of sections 53a-181j to 53a-181l, inclusive:
(1) “Disability” means physical disability, mental disability or intellectual disability;
(2) “Gender identity or expression” means a person’s gender-related identity, appearance or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth;
(3) “Mental disability” means one or more mental disorders, as defined in the most recent edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders”;
(4) “Intellectual disability” has the same meaning as provided in section 1-1g; and
(5) “Physical disability” means any chronic physical handicap, infirmity or impairment, whether congenital or resulting from bodily injury, organic processes or changes or from illness, including, but not limited to, blindness, epilepsy, deafness or hearing impairment or reliance on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device.
(P.A. 04-135, S. 1; P.A. 11-129, S. 20.)
History: Pursuant to P.A. 11-129, “mental retardation” was changed editorially by the Revisors to “intellectual disability”.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.