2012 Connecticut General Statutes
Title 7 - Municipalities
Chapter 112 - Municipal Finance
Section 7-401 - Definitions.
As used in sections 7-402 and 7-403, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless the context indicates another meaning or intent:
(1) “Deposit” or “deposits” means demand deposits, time deposits, certificates of deposit, share accounts, term share accounts and share certificate accounts;
(2) “Municipality” means any town, city or borough, whether consolidated or unconsolidated, and any school district, regional school district, district, as defined in section 7-324, metropolitan district, and each municipal corporation, organization or authority and taxing district not previously mentioned in this subdivision;
(3) “Out-of-state bank” means an out-of-state bank, as defined in section 36a-2;
(4) “Public funds” means any moneys collected or received by, or in the custody of, any person and belonging to, or held in trust for, the municipality, including, but not limited to, moneys held in trust or for some public or charitable purpose by the municipality; and
(5) “Qualified public depository” means a qualified public depository, as defined in section 36a-330.
(1949 Rev., S. 831; 1955, S. 369d; 1959, P.A. 152, S. 15; 1967, P.A. 517, S. 13; P.A. 73-609, S. 2, 4; P.A. 75-256, S. 2, 5; P.A. 83-331, S. 1; P.A. 95-282, S. 2, 11; P.A. 96-244, S. 38, 63.)
History: 1959 act deleted provisions for administration of funds by counties; 1967 act raised amount of deposit allowed in single bank to 75% of bank’s resources; P.A. 73-609 redefined “bank” to remove phrase “and is organized under ... the banking laws of the United States or of this state”; P.A. 75-256 added general loss reserve to listing of bank assets in Subsec. (b); P.A. 83-331 amended Subsec. (a) to include share accounts, term share accounts and share certificate accounts in the definition of “deposit” or “deposits”; P.A. 95-282 repealed previous provisions and revised definitions, effective July 6, 1995, provided “any designation of a depository of public funds of the state or any municipality or regional school district, and any prescription of the method of supervision of the investment and reinvestment of trust funds of a municipality, made in accordance with the applicable provisions of sections 4-33, 7-401, 7-402, 7-403, subsection (c) of section 10-52 or subsection (d) of section 10-56 in effect on or before July 6, 1995, shall remain in effect until rescinded or otherwise modified in accordance with the provisions of public act 95-282” (Revisor’s note: The reference to “section 10-52” appears to be a clerical error since Subsec. (c) of Sec. 10-51 was amended by Sec. 5 of P.A. 95-282); P.A. 96-244 revised effective date section of P.A. 95-282 but without affecting this section.
See Sec. 3-24 re deposit of funds by State Treasurer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.