2011 Connecticut Code
Title 52 Civil Actions
Chapter 899 Evidence
Sec. 52-148b. Notice of taking of deposition.

      Sec. 52-148b. Notice of taking of deposition. (a) No party may take the deposition of any person unless he has first given reasonable written notice to each adverse party or his known agent or attorney of the time and place for taking the deposition and the name and address of each person to be examined, if known, and, if the name is not known, a general description sufficient to identify him or the particular class or group to which he belongs. Such notice shall be served by an indifferent person at the usual place of abode of each person entitled to notice or by mailing such notice to him by certified mail.

      (b) An order of the court is not required for the taking of a deposition by the party initiating a civil action or probate proceeding if the notice (1) states that the person to be examined is about to go out of this state, or is bound on a voyage to sea, and will be unavailable for examination unless his deposition is taken before expiration of the twenty-day period, and (2) sets forth facts to support such statements. The attorney for the party seeking to take the deposition shall sign the notice, and his signature constitutes a certification by him that to the best of his knowledge, information, and belief the statement and supporting facts are true.

      (c) Whenever the whereabouts of any adverse party is unknown, a deposition may be taken pursuant to section 52-148a after such notice as the court, in which such deposition is to be used, or, when such court is not in session, any judge thereof, may direct.

      (P.A. 76-273, S. 2.)

      Cited. 211 C. 555. Cited. 216 C. 483. Cited. 229 C. 716.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.