2005 Connecticut Code - Sec. 47-5a. Persons before whom acknowledgment may be made.

      Sec. 47-5a. Persons before whom acknowledgment may be made. If the acknowledgment in a conveyance of real estate is made in this state, it may be made before a judge of a court of record of this state or of the United States, a clerk of the Superior Court, a justice of the peace, a commissioner of the Superior Court, a notary public, either with or without his official seal, a town clerk or an assistant town clerk; and, if in any other state or territory of the United States, before a commissioner residing in such other state or territory appointed by the Governor of Connecticut, or an officer authorized to take the acknowledgment of deeds in such state or territory; and, if in a foreign country, before any ambassador, minister, charge d'affaires, consul, vice-consul, deputy-consul, consul-general, vice-consul-general, deputy-consul-general, consular-agent, vice-consular-agent, commercial agent or vice-commercial agent of the United States, representing or acting as agent of the United States in such foreign country, or before any notary public or justice of the peace, or before any other public officer, in such foreign country, before whom oaths or acknowledgments may be given; but no officer shall have power to take such acknowledgment, except within the territorial limits in which he may perform the duties of his office. The authentication of the signature and qualification of the acknowledging officer on any instrument executed out of this state may conform either to the provisions of chapter 6 or to section 47-7.

      (P.A. 75-309, S. 4; P.A. 76-436, S. 646, 681; P.A. 79-602, S. 2.)

      History: P.A. 76-436 removed clerk of common pleas court as person before whom acknowledgment may be made in this state, that court having been abolished in the act, effective July 1, 1978; P.A. 79-602 made minor changes in wording but made no substantive change.

      See chapter 821a re forms of deeds and mortgages.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.