2005 Connecticut Code - Sec. 19a-287. (Formerly Sec. 19-144). Penalty.

      Sec. 19a-287. (Formerly Sec. 19-144). Penalty. Any selectman, or mayor, the Chief Medical Examiner or deputy medical examiner or an assistant medical examiner, or the administrative head of any state correctional institution, or the superintendent or person in charge of any almshouse, asylum, hospital, morgue or other public institution which is supported, in whole or in part, at public expense, who delivers a corpse, for the purposes of medical and surgical study, to any person in violation of any provision of this chapter, or any person who violates any provision of this chapter for which no other penalty is prescribed, or any person knowing that the deceased had relatives, either by blood or marriage, who desired to give the body a decent burial, or to whom the deceased had expressed a desire that his body should be buried, who wilfully neglects or refuses to give information thereof to the persons in charge of such body, having reasonable opportunity for so doing and having knowledge of the fact that such body may be delivered for medical or surgical purposes, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars.

      (1949 Rev., S. 4220; 1963, P.A. 642, S. 19; 1969, P.A. 425, S. 10; 699, S. 26.)

      History: 1963 act deleted obsolete references to delivery by sheriff or jailer, substituting state jail administrator; 1969 acts deleted coroners, added chief, deputy and assistant medical examiners and replaced state jail administrator with administrative heads of state correctional institutions and replaced masters of almshouses, asylums, hospitals, etc. with superintendents or persons in charge of such facilities as persons subject to fine; Sec. 19-144 transferred to Sec. 19a-287 in 1983.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Connecticut may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.