2022 Colorado Code
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 12 - Offenses Relating to Firearms and Weapons
Part 2 - Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns
§ 18-12-202. Definitions
As used in this part 2, unless the context otherwise requires:
- "Certified instructor" means an instructor for a firearms safety course who is certified as a firearms instructor by:
- A county, municipal, state, or federal law enforcement agency;
- The peace officers standards and training board created in section 24-31-302, C.R.S.;
- A federal military agency; or
- A national nonprofit organization that certifies firearms instructors, operates national firearms competitions, and provides training, including courses in personal protection, in small arms safety, use, and marksmanship.
- "Chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that the applicant's normal faculties are impaired" means:
- The applicant has at any time been committed as a person with an alcohol use disorder pursuant to section 27-81-111 or 27-81-112; or
- Within the ten-year period immediately preceding the date on which the permit application is submitted, the applicant:
- Has been committed as a person with an alcohol use disorder pursuant to section 27-81-109 or 27-81-110; or
- Has had two or more alcohol-related convictions under section 42-4-1301 (1) or (2), C.R.S., or a law of another state that has similar elements, or revocations related to misdemeanor, alcohol-related convictions under section 42-2-126, C.R.S., or a law of another state that has similar elements.
- A firearms safety course or class that is offered and taught by a certified instructor.
- "Handgun" means a handgun as defined in section 18-12-101 (1)(e.5); except that the term does not include a machine gun as defined in section 18-12-101 (1)(g).
- "Handgun training class" means:
(I) A law enforcement training firearms safety course;
(II) A firearms safety course offered by a law enforcement agency, an institution of higher education, or a public or private institution or organization or firearms training school, that is open to the general public and is taught by a certified instructor; or
- Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection (5), "handgun training class" does not include any firearms safety course that allows a person to complete the entire course:
- Via the internet or an electronic device; or
- In any location other than the physical location where the certified instructor offers the course.
- "Handgun training class" means:
- "Permit" means a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to the provisions of this part 2; except that "permit" does not include a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.
- "Sheriff" means the sheriff of a county, or his or her designee, or the official who has the duties of a sheriff in a city and county, or his or her designee.
- "Training certificate" means a certificate, affidavit, or other document issued by the instructor, school, club, or organization that conducts a handgun training class that evidences an applicant's successful completion of the class requirements.
Source: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 636, § 1, effective May 17. L. 2010: (3)(a) and (3)(b)(I) amended, (SB 10-175), ch. 188, p. 787, § 32, effective April 29. L. 2013: (1) repealed, (HB 13-1229), ch. 47, p. 137, § 7, effective March 20; (5) amended, (SB 13-195), ch. 278, p. 1450, § 1, effective May 24. L. 2018: (3)(a) and (3)(b)(I) amended, (SB 18-091), ch. 35, p. 386, § 19, effective August 8.
Cross references: For the legislative declaration in SB 18-091, see section 1 of chapter 35, Session Laws of Colorado 2018.