There is a newer version of this Section
2021 Colorado Code
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 3 - Offenses Against the Person
Part 4 - Unlawful Sexual Behavior
§ 18-3-408.5. Jury Instruction on Consent - When Required
Universal Citation: CO Code § 18-3-408.5 (2021)
- In any criminal prosecution for a crime listed in subsection (2) of this section or for attempt or conspiracy to commit a crime listed in subsection (2) of this section, upon request of any party to the proceedings, the jury shall be instructed on the definition of consent as set forth in section 18-3-401 (1.5). Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-505 (4), an instruction on the definition of consent given pursuant to this section shall not constitute an affirmative defense, but shall only act as a defense to the elements of the offense.
- The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall apply to the following crimes:
- Sexual assault as described in section 18-3-402 (1)(a);
- Sexual assault as described in section 18-3-402 (1)(b), (1)(c), or (1)(e), as they existed prior to July 1, 2000, for offenses committed prior to July 1, 2000;
- Sexual assault in the second degree as described in section 18-3-403 (1)(a) or (1)(b), as they existed prior to July 1, 2000, for offenses committed prior to July 1, 2000;
- Unlawful sexual contact as described in section 18-3-404 (1)(a), (1)(c), or (1)(d);
- Unlawful sexual contact as described in section 18-3-404 (1.7), as it existed prior to July 1, 2010, for offenses committed prior to July 1, 2010;
- Invasion of privacy for sexual gratification as described in section 18-3-405.6; or
- Criminal invasion of privacy in violation of section 18-7-801.
History. Source: L. 92: Entire section added, p. 322, § 4, effective July 1. L. 2002: Entire section amended, p. 757, § 1, effective July 1. L. 2010: Entire section amended, (SB 10-128), ch. 415, p. 2047, § 7, effective July 1, 2012.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.