There is a newer version of this Section
2021 Colorado Code
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 12 - Offenses Relating to Firearms and Weapons
Part 1 - Firearms and Weapons - General
§ 18-12-108.7. Unlawfully Providing or Permitting a Juvenile to Possess a Handgun - Penalty - Unlawfully Providing a Firearm Other Than a Handgun to a Juvenile - Penalty
Universal Citation: CO Code § 18-12-108.7 (2021)
- Any person who intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly provides a handgun with or without remuneration to any person under the age of eighteen years in violation of section 18-12-108.5 or any person who knows of such juvenile's conduct which violates section 18-12-108.5 and fails to make reasonable efforts to prevent such violation commits the crime of unlawfully providing a handgun to a juvenile or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun.
- Unlawfully providing a handgun to a juvenile or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun in violation of this subsection (1) is a class 4 felony.
- if such person provides a handgun to or permits the possession of a handgun by any juvenile who has been convicted of a crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3-406, or any juvenile who has been adjudicated a juvenile delinquent for an offense which would constitute a crime of violence, as defined in section 18-1.3-406, if such juvenile were an adult.
- Unlawfully providing a handgun to a juvenile or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun in violation of this subsection (2) is a class 4 felony.
- With regard to firearms other than handguns, no person shall sell, rent, or transfer ownership or allow unsupervised possession of a firearm with or without remuneration to any juvenile without the consent of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian. Unlawfully providing a firearm other than a handgun to a juvenile in violation of this subsection (3) is a class 1 misdemeanor.
- It shall not be an offense under this section if a person believes that a juvenile will physically harm the person if the person attempts to disarm the juvenile or prevent the juvenile from committing a violation of section 18-12-108.5.
History. Source: L. 93, 1st Ex. Sess.: Entire section added, p. 3, § 2, effective September 13. L. 2000: Entire section amended, p. 642, § 1, effective July 1; (4) added, p. 641, § 1, effective July 1. L. 2002: (2)(a) amended, p. 1518, § 209, effective October 1.
Amendments to this section by House Bill 00-1247 and House Bill 00-1243 were harmonized by renumbering (3) from House Bill 00-1247 as (4).Cross references:
For the legislative declaration contained in the 2002 act amending subsection (2)(a), see section 1 of chapter 318, Session Laws of Colorado 2002.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.