2020 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 38 - Property - Real And Personal
Article 12. Tenants and Landlords
Law reviews: For article, "The Effect of Zoning Violations on the Enforceability of Leases", see 19 Colo. Law. 2077 (1990).
- Section 38-12-101. Legislative declaration.
- Section 38-12-102. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-103. Return of security deposit.
- Section 38-12-104. Return of security deposit - hazardous condition - gas appliance.
- Section 38-12-200.1. Short title.
- Section 38-12-200.2. Legislative declaration.
- Section 38-12-201. Application of part 2.
- Section 38-12-201.3. Legislative declaration - increased availability of mobile home parks.
- Section 38-12-201.5. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-202. Tenancy - notice to quit.
- Section 38-12-202.5. Action for termination.
- Section 38-12-203. Reasons for termination.
- Section 38-12-204. Nonpayment of rent - notice required for rent increase.
- Section 38-12-204.3. Notice required for termination.
- Section 38-12-205. Termination prohibited.
- Section 38-12-206. Home owner meetings - assembly in common areas.
- Section 38-12-207. Security deposits - legal process.
- Section 38-12-208. Remedies.
- Section 38-12-209. Entry fees prohibited - security deposit - court costs.
- Section 38-12-210. Closed parks prohibited.
- Section 38-12-211. Selling fees prohibited - "for sale" signs permitted.
- Section 38-12-212. Certain types of landlord-seller agreements prohibited.
- Section 38-12-212.3. Responsibilities of landlord - acts prohibited.
- Section 38-12-212.4. Required disclosure and notice of water usage and billing responsibility for leaks.
- Section 38-12-212.5. Prohibition on retaliation.
- Section 38-12-212.7. Landlord utilities account.
- Section 38-12-213. Rental agreement - disclosure of terms in writing - prohibited terms.
- Section 38-12-214. Rules and regulations - amendments - notice - complaints.
- Section 38-12-215. New developments and parks - rental of sites to dealers authorized.
- Section 38-12-216. Mediation, when permitted - court actions.
- Section 38-12-217. Notice of change of use - notice of sale or closure of park - opportunity for home owners to purchase - procedures - exemptions.
- Section 38-12-218. Mobile home owners - right to form a cooperative.
- Section 38-12-219. Home owners' and landlords' rights.
- Section 38-12-220. Private civil right of action.
- Section 38-12-221. Access by counties and municipalities.
- Section 38-12-222. Home owners' right to privacy.
- Section 38-12-301. Control of rents by counties and municipalities prohibited - legislative declaration.
- Section 38-12-302. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-401. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-402. Protection for victims of unlawful sexual behavior, stalking, or domestic violence.
Law reviews: For article, "Colorado Implied Warranty of Habitability for Residential Tenancies: An Overview", see 38 Colo. Law. 59 (May 2009); for article, "Residential Tenancies, Lease to Eviction An Overview of Colorado Law", see 43 Colo. Law. 55 (May 2014); for article, "Warranty of Habitability, CRS §§ 38-12-501 et seq.", see 47 Colo. Law. 10 (Aug.-Sept. 2018). 38-12-501. Legislative declaration - matter of statewide concern - purposes and policies. (1) The general assembly hereby finds and declares that the provisions of this part 5 are a matter of statewide concern. Any local government ordinance, resolution, or other regulation that is in conflict with this part 5 shall be unenforceable.
(2) The underlying purposes and policies of this part 5 are to:
Simplify, clarify, modernize, and revise the law governing the rental of dwellingunits and the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants;
Encourage landlords and tenants to maintain and improve the quality of housing; and(c) Make uniform the law with respect to the subject of this part 5 throughout Colorado.
Source: L. 2008: Entire part added, p. 1820, § 3, effective September 1.
- Section 38-12-502. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-503. Warranty of habitability.
- Section 38-12-504. Tenant's maintenance of premises.
- Section 38-12-505. Uninhabitable residential premises.
- Section 38-12-506. Exception for certain single-family residences.
- Section 38-12-507. Breach of warranty of habitability - tenant's remedies.
- Section 38-12-508. Landlord's defenses to a claim of breach of warranty - limitations on claiming a breach.
- Section 38-12-509. Prohibition on retaliation.
Cross references: For definitions applicable to this part 8, see § 38-12-502.
- Section 38-12-801. Written rental agreement - copy - tenant.
- Section 38-12-802. Tenant payment - receipts.
- Section 38-12-901. Short title.
- Section 38-12-902. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-903. Rental application fee - limitations.
- Section 38-12-904. Consideration of rental applications - limitations - denial notice.
- Section 38-12-905. Violations - liability - notice required - exception.
- Section 38-12-1001. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-1002. Bed bugs - notification to landlord - landlord duties.
- Section 38-12-1003. Bed bugs - inspections - treatments - costs.
- Section 38-12-1004. Bed bugs - access to dwelling unit and personal belongings - notice costs.
- Section 38-12-1005. Bed bugs - renting of dwelling units with bed bugs prohibited.
- Section 38-12-1006. Remedies - liability.
- Section 38-12-1007. Relationship to warranty of habitability.
Cross references: For the legislative declaration in HB 19-1309, see section 1 of chapter 281, Session Laws of Colorado 2019.
- Section 38-12-1101. Short title.
- Section 38-12-1102. Legislative declaration.
- Section 38-12-1103. Definitions.
- Section 38-12-1104. Dispute resolution program - creation - division of housing - duties report - rules.
- Section 38-12-1105. Dispute resolution program - complaint process.
- Section 38-12-1106. Registration of mobile home parks - process - fees.
- Section 38-12-1107. Registration information database.
- Section 38-12-1108. Mobile home park complaint database.
- Section 38-12-1109. Mobile home park act dispute resolution and enforcement program annual report.
- Section 38-12-1110. Mobile home park act dispute resolution and enforcement program fund.