2018 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 12 - Professions and Occupations
Article 8 - Barbers and Cosmetologists
§ 12-8-110. Examinations
(1) For the benefit of applicants, the director shall hold examinations as often as necessary, subject to appropriation constraints.
(2) The respective examinations of applicants for licenses to practice barbering, hairstyling, or cosmetology under this article shall be conducted under rules prescribed by the director and shall include practical demonstrations, written tests in reference to the practices to which a license is applied, and such related studies or subjects as the director may determine necessary for the proper and efficient performance of such practices, and such examinations shall not be confined to any specific system or method. The practical demonstrations shall be conducted under conditions that are as similar to actual operating conditions as possible. The director is authorized to rent adequate facilities in which to hold such examinations.
(3) The examinations must be consistent with the practical and theoretical requirements of the practices of barbering, hairstyling, or cosmetology or providing nail technician or esthetician services as provided by this article, and the director shall review, revise, and update the examinations periodically on a reasonable basis in consultation with the advisory committee created pursuant to section 12-8-108. Examinations must be graded promptly, and the results of the examinations must be made available to the applicants promptly. The examination must emphasize health and safety issues.
(4) The director shall offer a separate and complete testing station and facility for each applicant, and no oral examination shall be given in connection with practical demonstrations.
(5) No person is permitted to examine applicants in any of the practical portions for barbers, hairstylists, cosmetologists, estheticians, or nail technicians in which the person has not had practical experience and received a license as provided in this article.