2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 38 - Property - Real and Personal
Article 33 - Condominium Ownership Act
§ 38-33-112. Notification to residential tenants
(1) A developer who converts an existing multiple-unit dwelling into condominium units, upon recording of the declaration as required by section 38-33-105, shall notify each residential tenant of the dwelling of such conversion.
(2) Such notice shall be in writing and shall be sent by certified or registered mail, postage prepaid, and return receipt provided. Notice is complete upon mailing to the tenant at the tenant's last known address. Notice may also be made by delivery in person to the tenant of a copy of such written notice, in which event notice is complete upon such delivery.
(3) Said notice constitutes the notice to terminate the tenancy as provided by section 13-40-107, C.R.S.; except that no residential tenancy shall be terminated prior to the expiration date of the existing lease agreement, if any, unless consented to by both the tenant and the developer. If the term of the lease has less than ninety days remaining when notification is mailed or delivered, as the case may be, or if there is no written lease agreement, residential tenancy may not be terminated by the developer less than ninety days after the date the notice is mailed or delivered, as the case may be, to the tenant, unless consented to by both the tenant and the developer. The return receipt shall be prima facie evidence of receipt of notice. If the term of the lease has less than ninety days remaining when notification is mailed or delivered, as the case may be, the tenant may hold over for the remainder of said ninety-day period under the same terms and conditions of the lease agreement if the tenant makes timely rental payments and performs other conditions of the lease agreement.
(4) The tenancy may be terminated within the ninety days prescribed in subsection (3) of this section upon agreement by the tenant in consideration of the payment of all moving expenses by the developer or for such other consideration as mutually agreed upon. Such tenancy may also be terminated within the ninety days prescribed in subsection (3) of this section upon failure by the tenant to make timely rental or lease payments.
(5) Any person who applies for a residential tenancy after the recording of the declaration shall be informed of this recording at the time of application, and any leases executed after such recording may provide for termination within less than ninety days provided that the terms of the lease conspicuously disclose the intention to convert the property containing the leased premises to condominium ownership.
(6) The general assembly hereby finds and declares that the notification procedure set forth in this section is a matter of statewide concern. No county, municipality, or other political subdivision whether or not vested with home rule powers under article XX of the Colorado constitution, shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, rule, regulation, or policy which conflicts with the provisions of this section.