2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 38 - Property - Real and Personal
Article 33 - Condominium Ownership Act
§ 38-33-110. Time-sharing - definitions
As used in this section and section 38-33-111, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) (a) "Interval estate" means a combination of:
(I) An estate for years terminating on a date certain, during which years title to a time share unit circulates among the interval owners in accordance with a fixed schedule, vesting in each such interval owner in turn for a period of time established by the said schedule, with the series thus established recurring annually until the arrival of the date certain; and
(II) A vested future interest in the same unit, consisting of an undivided interest in the remainder in fee simple, the magnitude of the future interest having been established by the time of the creation of the interval estate either by the project instruments or by the deed conveying the interval estate. The estate for years shall not be deemed to merge with the future interest, but neither the estate for years nor the future interest shall be conveyed or encumbered separately from the other.
(b) "Interval estate" also means an estate for years as described in subparagraph (I) of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1) where the remainder estate, as defined either by the project instruments or by the deed conveying the interval estate, is retained by the developer or his successors in interest.
(2) "Interval owner" means a person vested with legal title to an interval estate.
(3) "Interval unit" means a unit the title to which is or is to be divided into interval estates.
(4) "Project instruments" means the declaration, the bylaws, and any other set of restrictions or restrictive covenants, by whatever name denominated, which limit or restrict the use or occupancy of condominium units. "Project instruments" includes any lawful amendments to such instruments. "Project instruments" does not include any ordinance or other public regulation governing subdivisions, zoning, or other land use matters.
(5) "Time share estate" means either an interval estate or a time-span estate.
(6) "Time share owner" means a person vested with legal title to a time share estate.
(7) "Time share unit" means a unit the title to which is or is to be divided either into interval estates or time-span estates.
(8) "Time-span estate" means a combination of:
(a) An undivided interest in a present estate in fee simple in a unit, the magnitude of the interest having been established by the time of the creation of the time-span estate either by the project instruments or by the deed conveying the time-span estate; and
(b) An exclusive right to possession and occupancy of the unit during an annually recurring period of time defined and established by a recorded schedule set forth or referred to in the deed conveying the time-span estate.
(9) "Time-span owner" means a person vested with legal title to a time-span estate.
(10) "Time-span unit" means a unit the title to which is or is to be divided into time-span estates.
(11) "Unit owner" means a person vested with legal title to a unit, and, in the case of a time share unit, "unit owner" means all of the time share owners of that unit. When an estate is subject to a deed of trust or a trust deed, "unit owner" means the person entitled to beneficial enjoyment of the estate and not to any trustee or trustees holding title merely as security for an obligation.